Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, April 27, 2009

Awesome-ness

I have very low standards for my children's schools.  I really believe in public education and feel that any gaps should be made up by the parents.  My only stipulation is that my children are safe.  So I was pleasantly surprised and even thrilled with my children's educational experience here.  Their teachers are committed and hard working.  They have amazing leveling with Carolyn doing pre-Algebra (in 4th grade) because she was ready for it and Hannah in an advanced reading and writing program that has expanded her writing to wonderful levels.  

To top that off, they do amazing things.  Hannah's class just wrote messages in bottles and sent them out to sea and have already gotten responses from Ocean Park where some of them washed up during a storm.  She has done a radio show with her teacher (who does a weekly show) twice.  Next month she is going to Haystack Rock which is a protected marine garden where they will have intertidal stations, bird viewing stations and aquaria stations.  

Carolyn has been to Lewis and Clark's post (Fort Clatsop) that they wintered in here in Oregon.  She has been bird watching in the forest and this week will go to the mouth of the Columbia and learn about coastal birds.  Next month she is going to central oregon to hike and camp for three days.  They will sleep in TeePees and learn about Native Americans. 

Could there be anything more awesome?  

Way better than the roller skating rink that was my outing in grade school.

3 comments:

Kara and Theo said...

I would love to sleep in a TeePee! Jealous!!!

Mark and Jana said...

I do have to admit Annie, that I loved going roller skating! It's to bad that is all we ever did year after year. Here in Omaha my kids get to experience amazing things. Thank goodness there is life outside Shelley Idaho. :)

Janna said...

Yes, Adam's hair is thinning on top! It has been since we got married & I got pregnant. I'm sure it's the stress of being married to me and having children. haha! He HATES it. I don't really notice it.