Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, October 30, 2009

Phew I feel better now...

So yesterday, I made a big batch of chocolate cookies with cream cheese frosting in the middle of them. Then I commenced eating half the batch. Now I feel better. Also, my inherent optimism overcame the dark cloud that had followed me from the border of my beloved Oregon.

Things I discovered that helped me feel better (besides cookies):

1. A clean, unpacked house is a fabulous thing and makes life lots easier!!
2. If I walk my children to school and avoid all the road raging parents, we are all happier and it only takes about ten extra minutes!!
3. One of the things I love about public school is it forces my children to work within situations that aren't always ideal... this school isn't ideal and particularly, Carolyn's teacher is nothing short of a battle ax, but she is going to meet battle axes many times in her life and learning to do ones best in the face of that variety of person, is a skill that will serve her well.
4. So, my kids are doing math that they did two years ago in Oregon. At least they get a 100% on everything! Luckily my kids are nerds and like to create more work for themselves in the form of homemade worksheets. They are at least pushing themselves. And quite honestly, that internal drive is most important in the long run, I think.
5. It is lovely to be near the temple.
6. It is fun to be near the city.
7. There are AMAZING homes for sale here.... it will be great to buy one!!
7. There are approximately a bazillion members of the church here. We have a home and a big family willing to wrap their arms around us. That alone makes me feel better.

6 comments:

Annie said...

The initial adjustment is always so hard, especially while in the midst. You will be happier in the log run. I'm so glad Cyrus found a practice that suits him well. Congrats on all the fun life changes.

anjie said...

I like that you're already doing Texas Math with two number 7s. ;)

Hang in there, ya'll! (BTW: What city are you in???)

Cyrus and Annie said...

We're in Tomball. My kids better make me a work sheet so I can number my next post right!!

Natalie N said...

ANNIE--Are you SERIOUSLY in Tomball?!!? Do you know I grew up in a neighborhood just off Louetta Rd? I am so sad to read about how hard the adjustment has been for you. It breaks my heart. I had such a wonderful experience growing up in Tomball, and I felt like I got a wonderful education. It sounds like our schools have either gone to pot or maybe I was just blind to how idiotic our school system was. Hmmmmm.

What ward are you in? What oral surgeon does Cyrus refer to? j/k. I'm dying to hear more details of your TX adventure. Wishing you nothing but the best.
xoxo

Cyrus and Annie said...

Our ward is called the parkview ward but rumor has it, it will be dividing in a couple of months. Cyrus has yet to refer to an oral surgeon but it would be nice if a good one moved in!! I think our problems with the school have more to do with the neighborhood we chose than anything else. We thought it was a nice neighborhood then upon moving in, someone wrote, "Stupid Jews" on our car. The police are through here a lot. It reminds me a bit of our experience in Marin City. My kids are struggling with bullies and the principal won't return my phone calls. The members of the church are so good here. And so plentiful. We will probably buy a house nearer the temple next year.

Katie said...

I had no idea you guys were in Texas! I hope things turn out well for you there, sorry to hear it's an adjustment. Your kids have grown so much, but they are as beautiful as ever!