Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Sometimes

There are times when being a mom feels like a fruitless effort. Just a few examples:

Every day I pack lunches and make dinner. Every day someone hates something I did...the sandwich got too warm (or too cold), I put in the wrong chips, they are sick of water for a drink, they don't like anything anymore. Dinner is no better...someone always is sick of rice or potatoes or spaghetti or whatever else it may be. Milk is gross, some kids hate white cheese, some hate orange cheese. There is even one kid who hates everything.

Every day the girls are suppose to do personal scripture study before school. They read scripture stories or out of the Book of Mormon for 15 minutes. By the time I ask them to get out the scriptures 46 times and find everyone's place and get Sam to stop hitting and/or tickling everyone, I know I only get one chapter read. The girls are usually lucky if they get a couple of verses in. I don't know if anyone is learning anything.

Every night we do family scripture study and now we are working on learning the Articles of Faith. We have been reading the Book of Mormon daily since Cyrus and I got married. We are on 3 Nephi right now but it is only our third time through. Nearly ten years---three times. The Articles of Faith are fine, except that every time one child whines about wanting to read #12 (or #3 of whatever), then another complains that it is her turn. This goes on and on until Mom says, "We are just going to read the one you land on." Then everyone pouts and we get through it.

I have tried very hard not to limit my children in their use of imagination...this has backfired on me. There is almost always a fort built in some part of the house. I have 10,000 extremely special clay creations stacked in every nook known to man, the bathroom sink is forever full of things like pine-cones and glitter, glue and TP, paint, clay, rice, any thing you can imagine. Now Sam has joined the act. He has yet to see a wall he doesn't want to decorate with marker. Just this week I scrubbed all the walls (wearing out 2 magic erasers and a wash cloth) before getting in a nice warm bath. As soon as I turned off the water in the bathroom I heard the unmistakable scratch of marker on flat paint. I can't win. I don't know how but I think he has a secret stash of markers hidden where I can't see them.

My children seem to think you get dressed in the hallway, living room, and kitchen. You definitely can't get dressed in a bedroom and of course you must leave all of your things that you remove all over the floor of the room you have chosen for dressing. Carolyn prefers to shove her clothes in the corner or by the side of the couch, Hannah on the other hand likes to throw them all over the area. Katie, usually walks around and leaves a random item here or there. All in all, it makes for a heck of a mess.

The list could go on and on...do you see how a person could get discouraged?

6 comments:

Brett Bailey said...

Hey, see my comment below under your Pres. Hinckley post and buck up. You are amazing.

Kathy said...

The fact that you are spending daily time just trying to avoid fights, forcing them to read a single scripture, and making all the "wrong" foods is priceless. My sister-in-law is a social worker. She sees daily evidence of neglect where parents simply forget that they have children, let alone that there needs to be food in the house. Things are looking pretty good at your house. The kids have food and love and scripture study to complain about. You are doing great!

Kara and Theo said...

Are you complaining or boasting!?! Hello! The fact that you even get 1 verse in every morning is freaking amazing. Theo and I have been married for almost 9 years and we have only read through the BOM once and have just recently tried to start it again. We are only on the 6th chapter of 1 Nephi since the beginning of this year! As far as the imagination thing goes, just think of all these wonderful memories you are creating for your kids. They are going to be so well rounded when they grow up, so please don't get discouraged, you seem to have a good formula going.

Lainie said...

Oh, Annie! What a life we have. One thing is for sure: you have VERY interesting things to blog about! BTW, you've been tagged. Read my blog!

Anonymous said...

This made me feel better. I have been so stressed out lately.. Bill says I "ohm" in my sleep.

Joseph Javadi said...

At the end of it all ...... you are doing a tremendous job creating a wonderful family, providing warmth and love, and being extremely patient and supportive of Cyrus as you and he pursue your dreams!