Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


Last night Cyrus' mom called and said that President Hinckley had died. President Hinckley is the prophet and leader of my church--The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint. My girls cried and so did I. You see, I don't feel sad for him...he is in the arms of his wife of 65 years again (I am sure there is no place he would rather be). He has graduated--and my bet is that he passed. He feels joy. But for me, I will miss his silly jokes at conference, I will miss the love that I knew, without a doubt, his heart was filled with for every member of this church. I will miss his work and example. President Hinckley was one of a kind--he made us stronger and better and I will miss him. When his wife died, I told Cyrus, "she wore herself out serving the Lord. Someday I hope I am good enough to do that." President Hinckley did the same--his capacity to love grew because he served so tirelessly--he loved better than any man I have ever witnessed. I love him and hope that someday I can live as close to Christ-like life as he lived.

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Annie, I echo your words 100%. Thanks for such an insightful post. I will miss him too!!

Brett Bailey said...

Annie, as to what you told Cyrus when Sister Hinckley died, I will just say that as your former Bishop, I am quite certain you are well on your way. You are just a great person. I don't know if I ever really expressed how very much I appreciated your example. Any time we asked for service, there you were, all those kids in tow and actually helping. I viewed it as a small miracle almost every time I saw it, and you would be the miracle worker in that scenario. (OK, I guess Cyrus can take some credit :-). Anyway, that comment just reminded me of what an amazing family you guys are, so on those days where you think you aren't getting anywhere, you're wrong. you are well on your way. Thanks for everything.