Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Uh Oh


We are in trouble. Carolyn loves Brendan. The kind of second grade love where he chases her exclusively at recess and she kicks him. Carolyn's friend Haley loves him too. Every time she comes home from school its BRENDAN BRENDAN BRENDAN...yesterday she told me that he loves her too. He told her so.

I haven't really worried about all this love stuff. Carolyn has always been a little boy-crazy and quite honestly, chasing boys is quite normal. I have taken all this growing up in stride...let me tell you about it...to begin with, the other day at the bus stop my friend, Kathy (Haley's mom), informed me that she had read that tweens (the thing between being a kid and being a teen) begins at age 8. I sort of laughed with her and we worried very little. We talked about their beginning interest in clothes and music and how they actually want to take baths when they get dirty. Honestly, some parts of being a tween are a step in the right direction. Then Kathy and I reverted to our usual talk about matters like how in the world to get sand box stains out of socks. Then when Haley was bringing Brendan home for a play date, Kathy joked that Haley was hoping to pick out china patterns that afternoon. We laughed with Brendan's mom till our sides hurt. When Brendan was the only boy invited to Carolyn's birthday, we laughed (again with Brendan's mom) that he would even think of going to a girl only party, let alone revel in the attention like he did.

But today it got serious. Brendan is having his birthday party and wanted to go to the movies. His mom asked him who he wanted to invite and he said, Carolyn and Haley. She got him to invite a couple of boys too, but it seems my little lady will be headed to the movies with her new love. Cyrus wonders if he should go and sit in the back to make sure that BOY doesn't try any cool second-grader moves out on Carolyn. Really, Brendan's mom is a great lady and has assured me that the kids will be well watched over. I know she wil have fun. She has some good friends here The sad part is it feeling like my little girl is all grown up. She isn't suppose to go to the movies with friends, she is suppose to go with mom and dad. She isn't suppose to want to marry Brendan, she is suppose to want to live with mom and dad forever. Why do my babies have to grow up?

3 comments:

Kara and Theo said...

Way to go Dad!

Brett Bailey said...

At least you didn't have to go through it when she was in kindergarten! Cyrus, enjoy the movie, and take along your shotgun. . . .

Annie said...

Oh, I so feel your pain! Even though we will plan on having more babies, I want Vance to stay little all the time. The other day I thought about him being almost 8 by the time we are done with Drew's residency and I about cried. Why can't they stay little forever?!!!!