Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, April 05, 2007

First Word

I have always had a hard time identifying my kids' first words. It seems like their vocabulary develops from babbling to bits of word to full words and to ome there is no real "first." However, tonight Sam said something new. We were at the science fair at my girl's school (very fun, by the way and not on Sunday this year) and we were waiting in line to launch our homemade stomp rockets. All the kids were cheering for each other shooting off the rockets. Sam, who had spent the entire night sucking his thumb and looking around, loves to cheer. He got so excited and quit sucking his thumb to clap his hand with the other kids. He would put his little arms over his head then start clapping. It was so sweet. I siad, "Yeah!" and we clapped together. After about three times saying, "Yeah," Sammy would put his arms in the air, say, "Yeah" and start clapping. I think he must be a genius. And at least he didn't start with, "MINE" like a few of my other kids.

Cool things at the science fair:
*We played with cornstarch. When you put like 1/4 c corn starch and 1/8 c water, when you poke it, it feels solid put you can pour it out of the bowl like a liquid. Try it. It is fun to play with and you can color it. My kids have alway thought it was cool

*With good old fashion film containers they made pop rockets. You just put a bit of water in the container, put half an alka-seltser on the lid, put the lid on and put the container lid down on the table then back up. With in ten second the containers flew up to the ceiling.

*We made styrofome plates really staticy with a towel and picked up pepper and rice crispies with them.

*With a very strong magnet, we guided a piece of Total cereal around a little water course.

*Home made stomp rockets using tubing, pop bottle and construction paper. The kids shot them all the way across the gym at a big target. It was fun.

Alas, I have no pictures of the science fair, because I was once again on my own (thank you dental school) and with four kids, a huge crowd and two hands, it was impossible to navigate the camera. I need a point and shoot for such occasions.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I love science fairs! I just took Vance to check out some of the Marin County school projects on display at the Bay Model...perhaps there were some from your girls' school?
Very cool!
P.S. "Yeah" is a nice first word...I think Vance's was Da-da.

Cyrus and Annie said...

Ten kids from our school had their projects in the county fair. One won grand prize, a couple of first prizes and a second prize, three first prizes, and the others honorable mentions. I don't know what the actual projects were though.

Lainie said...

Annie! I didn't know you went alone. I forgot Cyrus had night clinic. You are so brave!! But what a fun, brave thing to do. AND waytigo Sammy!!! YEAH!!