Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, April 27, 2007

Yesterday

Cyrus' Grandma--one of the greatest.


Yesterday I was driving home from Trader Joes and noticed that on every overpass there were firetrucks and the firemen were waving the American flag. When I got off my exit, I took a left instead of right and parked. Just as I pulled up I saw a huge motorcade with motorcycle police and a limo and a herse. I asked who had passed away and they said it was a young man from Santa Rosa killed in Iraq. I felt a lot of feelings as I watched those flags wave and that motorcade drive by. First and foremost I loved my country. I mean I really love America. I love seeing the flag flying--it brings tears to my eyes the way few things can. I love the pledge of allegience--I have rarely been able to make it through the whole thing when I am at my children's school and I see all those little people stand and put their hand on their heart and pledge to uphold the freedom I hold dear. I was grateful for that soldier and for his family. I felt so sad for his mom. How sad she must have been to lose her boy but also, I am sure she was proud of the man he was.

I am not a political person. I honestly don't know what my opinion is on the war. I think both sides of the argument make valid points and I don't think I can get enough good information to make an informed choice so I just waffle. I always come down on the side of supporting the troops. They are heros. I believe that the president really thought he was doing the right thing going there. I believe that it has been a long time and probably they didn't start out with a very good plan but hindsite is 20/20 and you can't judge by that. I trust my government because I honestly believe most Americans are good people so they elect good government so in the end I just let them figure it out and pray for the troops.

Being a history buff, I have thought and read a lot about WWII, and I wonder if the country would have been even more "war weary" then if they hadn't been asked to sacrifice so much. If they would have been more like us, if they didn't have to stop driving their cars or buying sugar or any of the other sacrifices they have made. But when all is said and done, that generation was great in a way that I am not. I mean REALLY great--the greatest according to some. My Grandmother and Grandfather were absolutely the best people I can imagine. Not perfect but great and that greatness didn't come from having everything handed to them, it came from hard work and sacrifice. My mission president once said, "you love what you sacrifice for" and I found that to be true as I worked my hind end off, I loved the gospel more each day. I sacrifrice for my children and I love them beyond measure. He said he didn't think a dad could ever love a child the way moms do because of a mother's sacrifice of all--even her body--for her babies. Now I don't know about that, but I do know that the sacrifices I have made for my kids has taught me to love in a way I didn't know I could.

So that brings me to my wonder--are we spoiled? Do we know how to sacrifice? I don't mean in terms of the war because again, I can't make a real good opinion, but what about the gospel? Last night I was at a meeting and the stake presidency said that in spite of all the new temples being built that net temple attendance is DOWN. Are we lazy because we are blessed? I know I don't go to the temple like I should. Brigham Young said once something to the effect that he didn't worry about the Saints in their poverty as much as he worried what they would do in prosperiety. Do we keep the faith in our prosperity? Are we as willing to sacrifice pieces of the much we have been given as readily as generations before us we willing to sacrifice the little they had been given? I have been thinking and thinking and wondering. It has been good self evaluation. I need to do it more. Of course I have no conclusion except I need to try harder to do the best I can. Oh yeah and I need to go to the temple.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow! This is one of the deepest and most spirirtual essays I have ever read. I think you make a really good argument that sacrifice instills love.

Lainie said...

I just love your entries, Annie. You have such a knack for writing and expressing how you feel. I can hear you talk as I read your words! Just think- you'll be going to the temple next week! Love your guts!!!

Annie said...

Definitely! We have history to show us what is to come. It's the prosperity cycle. Everytime God's people prosper they become prideful, less dependent on the Him and loose their blessings. Then they humble themselves and the Lord blesses them again.
We live in a time right now when we are EXTREMELY blessed. We need to constantly be checking ourselves by reflections such as this last blog post and remember the Lord in all things.
Yes, it is so hard to sacrifice when we don't have to. Bless you for making your daily sacrifices to keep your family close to the God.
P.S. Drew and I are true patriots too! Our faith and country are so interlaced together.

Annie said...

P.S. Thank you again soooo much for having Vance over on Friday. It truly means the world to me to have so many great friends here that have helped us out in our time of need.

Bethany said...

I'm very impressed Annie. I appreciate it. My dad is a retired Col. and I had 2 brothers serve in Iraq and another in Afghanistan and so I'll tell you that they believed in their cause and that they did some good. You just keep supporting them! Thanks for the thought provoking words. It's always good to do a little self check and see how far we've floated from where we should be.