Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Read alouds

I love to read to my kids. But I have noticed that some books are better than others for being read aloud. I would love to hear your ideas about what good children's books there are out there and tell me if you think they are good read alouds...some of my opinions are:

Chapter Books:

Junie B. Jones series: Great to read aloud and for kids to read to themselves. The main character has bad grammar and bad manners so if that stuff bothers you these aren't the books for you but I honestly would laugh so hard with my girls I could hardly read.

Romona books by Beverly Cleary: Great books with good old fashion values. My girls loved them.

Little House on the Prarie: What child can go through life without reading the little house books. I think they are better read to ones self as they are pretty heavy on detail and a little hard to follow when read aloud. I tried reading them to the girls but they didn't care for them but now Carolyn has burned through four and a half of the books in a couple of months.

The BFG: One of the best read alouds ever but you have to do the voices and be very good at phonics or the book is hard because the BFG speaks a lot of near-jibberish.

Other Roald Dahl books: He is an interesting author and uses a lot of cliff hangers (like a kids Davinci Code) to keep the excitment up.

Ella Enchanted: Such a cute book but a little old for my girls. I think it is for about the same age group as Anne of Green Gables books, which by the way are also winners in my opinion.

Harry Potter: Of course. We will be reading those aloud in a few years.

Charlottes Web

Picture Books:

Blueberries for Sal is my favorite. I can still remember how nervous I felt when Little Sal and Little Sal's mother and Little Bear and Little Bear's mother were all mixed up with each other among the blueberries on blueberry hill. That is a great book. Also, Robert McCloskey's other books are great, too. Beautiful art work.

Owen by Kevin Henkes and in fact almost anything by Kevin Henkes.

Board books by Sandra Boynton (Blue Hat Green Hat is our favorite).

Olivia

Fancy Nancy

4 comments:

Kathy said...

What about Amelia Bedelia? One of my favorite books of all time was: "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." I think I read it in about third or fourth grade. I used to love the Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective series. There is another boy detective series called, "Nate the Great"

Annie said...

Some of our favorites are the ones by Audrey Wood. Great read out loud books with lots of energy and fun!

Kara and Theo said...

I loved Blueberries for Sal also! I found it at a garage sale in great condition and snatched that sucker up! Also we love Sandra Boynton. Tobie and I used to have Moo, Baa, La, La, La memorized. I would recite the words and he would add the sounds. Her books are such great fun!

Lainie said...

We LOVE any book that has a tune. We have a huge box full of sing along songs. They're the best! Hush Little Baby, We're Goin' to the Zoo, Baby Baluga, A Tisket a Tasket. . .