Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, April 09, 2007

Laundry

I do a ton of laundry. Seriously. Before we came here I had a laundry room...a really really BIG laundry room so my laundry was actually like an escape. I went downstairs and sat at my nice table and folded laundry in the cool of my basement.

Now my washer is in our bedroom (which is in reality a family room but our house is too small for our family but it has two great rooms so we just made one into a bedroom) and the laudry is always staring me in the face.

I hate laundry. I hate folding it, I hate putting it away, I hate dirty sock that have been in the sand box for three straight recesses, I hate trying to get out the 10,000th grass stain, I hate marker stains and wet swim suits and kitchen rags. Did I mention I hate laundry? I used to feel a sense of accomplishment when I had all those neat piles of clean, stain free clothes ready for my family. But that was before I shared a room with it, before it was constantly in front of my face. Truth is, I can never get away from laundry. I try to go to bed at night and there it is haunting me, I wake up in the morning to the blissful sound of birds and see a mountain but not beautiful mountain, oh no, just the mountain of clothes that my kids hauled from their rooms and bathrooms the night before. I can never escape. I go in my room to hang up my jacket and there it is multiplying in the hamper. Even on vacation people are making more laundry. Maybe I should make my family become nudists. But they still use towels and sheets and blankets and cleaning rags and........

This is my Monday laundry. I do laundry every day (unless we are exceptionally busy) but Sunday. Notice all the towels. I can thank swim team for that pile. The other moms say to bring 5 towels to the meets cause the kids are in and out so much. FIVE TOWELS. They must have laundry rooms.

When I pulled this skirt out of the dryer I was irritated (to say the least) because no one has worn this skirt in at least 6 months. I tried to console myself by telling me that maybe the sweet dears had cleaned under their beds and found it but then I remembered I washed the same skirt LAST WEEK.

Today I washed five loads of wash and probably one full load was clean clothes so Cyrus made the girls fold their own clothes and told them whenever mom washed clothes that hadn't even been worn they could do the folding otherwise we would take care of it for them. We'll see how that works. Now if I could just get these girls to stop changing seven times a day!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I cannot imagine staring at the W/D while I am trying to sleep. You poor thing. I go once a month to the laundromat and do seven loads at once. Two hours and I am done for the month, but I still hate those two hours a month.

Grandma Evy said...

Okay Annie I am sorry but Cyrus and his brother and sisters did the same thing. By the time Cyrus was 11 he and his siblings were doing their own laundry. Because I went down to the basement one day and ALL THE CLOTHES, TOWELS SHEETS I HAD WASHED WERE ON THE DIRTY STONE FLOOR because they were looking for something. Of course there were times when they just never got to it when they were older and it flowed out the laundry room and covered the hall and front door way. So I did have to go to the laundromat and do 10 loads to get them caught up and started all over. Also just so you know Cyrus hated doing laundry or maybe he was just very very lazy he stole Scott's clean clothes. I was always having to by Scott new socks and underwaer....

Annie said...

I hear you LOUD and CLEAR! I hate laundry too. One of the main reasons we moved into the complex where we live is because there is at least a washer and dryer in the apartment. I finally had to make a request at family counsel/FHE for Drew to wear his shirts at least three times before he throws them in the dirty clothes hamper...sorry to all his classmates if he smells weird! :)

Lainie said...

Annie, you will have the most lovely laundry room in your new house. I can't wait to see it! I also hate laundry. Whenever my mom comes she helps me so much. Ok - too much. She does laundry EVERY day and I don't ever feel like I've caught up!!! So, I do laundry once a week. With exception to a towel load or a baby load. All Friday I move my laundry around. Then we get a good movie and fold that night! I'm also a fan of making the kids fold. Yesterday Jasmin caused me an energy drain. Guess what she had to do to put back that energy? Yep! Fold my towels! They aren't like I fold them, but they're folded and put away! Good luck with that laundry! Maybe you could put smaller laundry tubs in those huge closets you have, close the door and only open them 1 or 2 a week? Just do the wet stuff. Just know - it won't be forever!!! You are so stinkin' cute. Loved the laundry blog!