Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Tender Mercies


My parents love baseball. I mean REALLY REALLY love baseball. The Red Sox. When the Red Sox won the World Series a few years ago, I called my Dad on the phone after the last out and he picked up the phone and shouted, "HOW BOUT THE RED SOX!!!!" He could hardly speak.

My parents have hit a bit of a rough patch in their lives. My mom has some severe, on-going health issues, my sister has just moved in with my parents, with her teenaged daughter due to illness. My parents also almost fully care for my elderly Grandmother and her large rural yard. So my mom and dad have a heavy load to carry.

Mom and Dad are coming out here when Carolyn is bapized in June so we decided to take them to a ball game. Last time they were here we took them to see the Giants but this year we are going to see the A's. When we looked up to see what games there were, we saw the Red Sox were coming the same week Care Bear was getting baptized. I called my dad and he was so excited, yelling to my mom about going to watch the Sox.

It may not seem like much but it feels like a tremendous blessing to me. It makes me feel like the Lord is aware of all the good my parents do, all the struggles that they face, but also that He sees them kneeling in prayer with my sister and her teenaged daughter, that He sees the peace they have brought to that little girl's life. It is a little thing (and a very temporal one) that makes me think that he knows how hard they truly try. Not many people would see the Red Sox coming to Oakland as a tender mercy from the Lord, but I do. And I am grateful for it.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, of course it's a tender mercy! The Lord is so good. Just by your description I could tell that made your dad's day. How cool that you can do that for him!

Lainie said...

So sweet Annie. The Lord wants you to prosper because He knows you'll do good with His money! Dang I love you!!!